Friday, October 19, 2007

Source Documentary

Nadine Gabai-Botero is CuDC’s Campaign Director and focuses on the campaign to raise $3.5 million for the renovation and initial operations of Source – targeting leadership gifts, donor cultivation, marketing and communications strategies for the project, as well as special events. Over the summer, I worked with local filmmaker and producer Marty Huberman (VideoArt Productions) on a documentary about Source. It is one of the most interesting projects I’ve worked on in the six years I’ve been at CuDC (and we’ve done some pretty great projects)! CuDC hired Marty to tell the Source story from the perspective of the artists, directors and playwrights who worked at Source over the years and the many people who were involved with saving the theatre in 2006. Not being one of the theatre buffs on staff, I didn’t know much about many of the people we interviewed. I was captivated as I listened to Eric Schaeffer describe what Source was like there in the early 80s, or heard Rick Foucheux his experiences on stage (including the time he crashed his head on the theatre’s cement floor and they had to stop the show so he could get stitches!). It sounded like an exciting, crazy time to be in the DC theatre scene. In addition to the 5-7 minute video we are producing, the DVD will include an “oral histories” section, where you can listen to the artists talk about their experiences. Like I said, I’m no theatre buff, but I think it’ll definitely be one to add to your collection if you have an interest in Washington theatre history. We hope to have the finished DVD in time for the holidays (stocking stuffer, anyone?).

No comments: